Motor Vehicle Insurance

IRM purchases vehicle insurance through the State of North Carolina liability insurance program. Travelers Insurance Company administers the program and handles claims. All state-owned self-propelled vehicles at minimum must be insured for liability. Departments and colleges may also purchase comprehensive, collision and medical payments coverage through the program.

Only employees on NC State’s payroll may drive state-owned vehicles and leased vehicles.

All vehicle additions, changes and deletions are processed online through the eRIMS2 system. Each department/college has an assigned eRIMS2 user, with the ability to process vehicle additions and changes in the system. If you are not sure who your eRIMS2 administrator is, or you do not have an administrator, please contact us.

Adding a New Vehicle in eRIMS

All University-owned self-propelled vehicles must be entered into the eRIMS2 System in order to maintain Liability insurance coverage.  To add a new vehicle in eRIMS:

  1. Log in to eRIMS2
  2. Click Exposures > Auto > Add which brings up the Vehicle Information page.  Fields on the Vehicle Information page designated with an asterisk are mandatory for initially entering a new vehicle.  However, every field must be completed as soon as possible.
  3. Once the fields are completed, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save.

New vehicles can be added initially without the license plate.  A temporary plate number can be used until the original plate arrives.

Each vehicle is required to have a CAMS number.  Contact the department’s CAM Coordinator for this information.  If a new vehicle does not have a CAMS number at the time of entering, you may enter the word “pending”.

Surplusing a Vehicle in eRIMS

Departments must surplus vehicles according to the NC State Surplus process by contacting Material Management.  Once all documents have been completed and sent to Material Management, and the vehicle has been physically removed from NC State property, the department must surplus the vehicle in the eRIMS2 System.

  1. Search for the specific vehicle you need to removed.
  2. On the Vehicle Information page scroll down to the bottom and click Surplus.
  3. On the Vehicle Surplus page, enter the Disposal Date on the right side.  The date when the vehicle was removed from NC State property is considered the Disposal Date.
  4. The Disposal Method is how the vehicle was removed from NC State property.
  5. The Remarks section is used to document information regarding the surplus.
  6. Once completed, scroll down the page and click Submit.

Rental Vehicle Insurance

When renting a vehicle using the State Term Contract 975B Vehicle Rental Services and using NC State’s custom account number (#NC53E01), National and Enterprise cover the rental vehicle for up to a total loss regarding physical damage and 3rd party claims up to $1 million.

Driver Protection Products: U.S./Puerto Rico/District of Columbia:

  • Loss Damage Waiver (LDW): Full coverage with $0.00 deductible included in rate list.
  • Liability: $1,000,000 CSL included in rate list.
  • International: BPRI, Damage Waiver included based on country requirements.

15-Passenger vans are not covered under the State Term Contract.

Commercial trucks also include insurance coverage when renting through the State Term Contract using the Enterprise business account # XZ53NCT. See the Controller’s Office Make a Rental Vehicle Reservation page for more information regarding vehicle rentals.

If you are in an accident while driving a State Term Contract rental vehicle, notify the rental car company and also enter the vehicle accident information in eRIMS2. IRM will forward the claim information to the rental carrier for handling.

Vehicle Accidents/Claims

Vehicular accident and property damage is defined as any accident occurring between an NC State vehicle (owned or rented) and another vehicle, pedestrian, animal or fixed object. Contact law enforcement to investigate all vehicle accidents. It is incumbent upon the employee to ensure that all facts are obtained with respect to the other driver.

NC State employees should not admit fault or liability or make any statement relative to guilt or responsibility. Employees should provide law enforcement with the facts related to the accident.

If you are involved in a vehicle accident in an NC State vehicle, complete the auto claim form online in the eRIMS2 system to submit a vehicle claim and complete the NCSU Supervisor’s First Report of Incident . Attach any photographs, police reports, rental agreements or other information to support the claim. If your claim/loss is the result of damage by another state vehicle, there is no coverage under the insurance program and Travelers will not handle either claim. The departments involved will be responsible to work out the damages between the parties.

For comprehensive and collision claims, the department is responsible for securing repair estimates and coordinating repairs.

The following deductibles apply to comprehensive and collision:

Vehicles up to $75,000 value  Vehicles > $75,000 value
Comprehensive Deductible = $500
Collision Deductible = $500
Varies depending on vehicle value

15-Passenger Van Driver Checklist & Reference Guide